jcunningham

Caliban's War
James S.A. Corey
You
The Shining Girls

14 - Peter Clines I realize it is lazy shorthand to review something primarily by comparing it to something else, so I will be brief in agreeing with the oft-made comparison between Peter Clines' novel and the television series Lost. Both start off very interestingly by presenting a mysterious locale -- an apartment building with suspiciously cheap rent, an island with vague magical properties -- and slowly spin out their mythology through the interaction of a bunch of archetypal characters. 14 edges out Lost by actually bothering to follow through on its mysteries, even if the explanation for it all gets sillier and sillier as it goes along. Lost, on the other hand, did a much better job with its characters, who managed to be well developed, if not always interesting (until the last season, anyway... let us not speak of it). In a Sophie's Choice between 14 (interesting concept, horrendous characters and occasionally utterly appalling dialogue) and Lost (massively disappointing plot payoff, some great characters, also some terrible characters), I'd choose 14, if only because it never made me fall in love, and so never hurt me quite as much.I promise this is the last time I will ever use Lost as the basis for a book review. Unless it is for [b:this|890601|Bad Twin|Gary Troup|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1179212039s/890601.jpg|875841]. Ha ha. Like anyone is going to read that ever again.Goddammit, Lost. I still hate you.