jcunningham

James S.A. Corey
You
The Shining Girls

Three

Thr3e - Ted Dekker Did you see Adaptation? Do you remember that part where fictionalized version of real life screenwriter Charlie Kaufman's (totally fictional) twin brother Donald is telling him about the terrible-sounding screenplay he's written? Here's some imdb:Donald: Okay, well here's the twist. We find out that, that the killer really suffers from multiple personality disorder, right? See, he's actually really the cop and the girl. All of them are him. Isn't that fucked up?Charlie: The only idea more overused than serial killers is multiple personality. On top of that, you explore the notion that cop and criminal are really two aspects of the same person. See every cop movie ever made for other examples of this. Donald: Mom called it "psychologically taut". ...Donald: I'm putting in a chase sequence. So the killer flees on horseback with the girl, the cop's after them on a motorcycle and it's like a battle between motors and horses, like technology vs. horse. Charlie: And they're still all one person, right? Donald's screenplay is called "The Three." This book is called Thr3e. This book is about a serial killer who is also another guy who is also the woman that guy loves. So you see, this book is exactly the plot of the terrible screenplay from the movie. Did I spoil it for you? Sorry.No not really. More interesting than this ludicrous twist, anyway, is that the whole concept is so very meta. I mean, they even made Thr3e into a movie! The book and Adaptation came out close enough together that there's no way the book sprung from the movie. How is it that someone actually wrote the story that is established as the dumbest idea possible in a movie released just several months earlier? What's going on? Did Charlie Kaufman write this book? Is Donald Kaufman actually a real person?